Canada Study Permit: Requirements and How to Apply

en English

The under-listed documents are required before you apply for Canada Study permit:

  • an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • a valid international passport or other travel document
  • proof of funds that you can support yourself, and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Biometrics: you need to give your biometrics and photo biometrics after you apply
    • If you are already living in Canada, and you are applying for initial study permit, you may need to leave Canada to give biometrics.

Canada Study Permit

How to apply for Canada Study Permit

Apply for Study Permit outside Canada

Persons desirous to study in Canada must generally, apply for a study permit travelling to Canada. You may also apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some other cases, an intending student can apply for study permit when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. It is important that you understand the options is available to you.

  • For applicants living in China, India and the Philippines or Vietnam, applications for Study permit may be faster if you apply through Student Direct Stream
  • You must note that if you need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or visa, same will be automatically issued to you same time as your study permit. You don’t need to apply separately or pay another fee.
  • Whether you choose the option of applying online, within Canada or at the port of entry all the applications will serve the same purpose as they are of same effect provided you apply in the right category of persons; however, online applications saves time and returns updates to the applicants directly in your online account.
  • For paper applications outside Canada, if you choose the option of applying on paper, you are required to download and fill out application package with the instruction guide and all forms for paper application outside Canada. Read Instruction Guide: Instruction Guide [IMM 5269] for more details on paper applications. You may also download the application package.

Canada Study Permit

Apply for Canada Study Permit within Canada

  • You can apply for Canada Study Permit within Canada under the following circumstance:
    • A minor in primary or secondary school
    • An exchange or visiting student
    • A student who has completed a short-term course or study program, which is a condition precedent for being accepted at a designated learning institution (DLI)
    • You hold a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or their family member.
    • A spouse or a common-law partner (and their family members) being sponsored to immigrate who are:
      • In Canada, and
      • Have applied for permanent residence, if eligible
    • A person with a study permit from a visa office abroad, and the permit was issued before you got to Canada, who wants to continue studying.
    • The family member of:
      • Athletes on Canadian-based team
      • Media representatives
      • Members of the clergy, or
      • Military personnel assigned to Canada
    • A family member or private staff member of a foreign representative who is properly accredited (90 days before or after you are no longer authorized to study without a study permit}. Or
    • A foreign national or their family member with a valid study or work permit, who wants to stay in Canada longer to study.

If you are already in Canada and none of the options above applies to you, you may need to follow the instructions for applying for a study permit from outside Canada.

Apply for Canada Study Permit at the Port of Entry (POE)

A person can only apply for study permit at the port of entry when you enter Canada under the following circumstance:

  • You are a US citizen
  • You are a permanent resident of US
  • Person who is lawfully admitted to US for permanent residence
  • Resident of Greenland
  • Resident of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon

Note that to apply for a study permit at an air port of entry, as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. travelling to Canada must apply for and obtain an eTA prior to boarding their flight to Canada. Endeavor to find out the relevant documents needed to apply for Canada Study Permit.



Leave a Comment

Get Accurate Information on Travelling Abroad Straight to Your Email
Be the first to get our contents straight to your inbox.
We respect your privacy. we promise not to spam your email.