Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization

en English

Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a document issued to persons who are citizens of one of the Countries excluded from the requirement of having a visa to enter into Canada. It is a class of document that will be approved for persons seeking to enter Canada and admissible into Canada in lieu of a visa.

You may not require visa to enter Canada if you have the right information. There are some countries that have a good relationship with Canada and consequent upon that relationship the requirement to have a visa to be admitted into Canada is waived.

Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization

The Process of Issuing a Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization is a fast authorization issued to persons traveling into Canada and allows you to board a flight or other means of traveling as an alternative to the Visitor Visa or Temporary Resident Visa as it ultimately serves the same purpose.

A Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization allows you to enter Canada and visit family or friends, or for the purpose of tourism and it permits you to stay for a short period of time usually six months or less.

Persons with Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization are not allowed to stay permanently or apply for Canadian citizenship, Canadian issued documents or claim any form of Canadian benefits.

The process of obtaining a Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization is very fast. It is a swift version of the visa application and it does not require many documents as in the case of visa application. The major requirement to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization is for the applicant to be a citizen of one of the countries allowed into Canada without a visa and provided that the purpose of traveling is for visiting a family temporarily or tourism.

Therefore if you qualify for a Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and your purpose of traveling is for family visit or tourism, you cannot apply for a visa. Nevertheless, persons who seek to enter Canada for the purpose of work, study or staying permanently will need a visa even if you are a citizen of countries allowed into Canada with an Electronic Travel Authorization.

Countries allowed Enter into Canada without a Visa but with Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)


  • Australia
  • Andorra
  • Austria


  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • British citizen
  • British National (Overseas)
  • British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
  • British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn Island
    • Saint Helena
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria


  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic


  • Denmark


  • Estonia


  • Finland
  • France


  • Germany
  • Greece


  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
  • Hungary


  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
  • Italy


  • Japan


  • Republic of Korea


  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg


  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco


  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway


  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Portugal


  • Romania (electronic passport holders only)


  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland


  • Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number


  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States, and lawful permanent residents


  • Vatican City State must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.

Notwithstanding all that is contained herein, if you are traveling by car, train, bus, or ship you must check and confirm with the Canadian Consulate in your home country on whether you can enter Canada with an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or need a temporary resident visa. This is because the rules may vary depending on your means of transportation or travel and your country of origin.

Requirements to Obtain a Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

In order for a person seeking to enter Canada to be eligible for the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), you must satisfy few criteria, such as:

  • You must be a citizen of one of the Countries listed above or resident in the said immigration status;
  • You must be 18 years old or above and if you are less than 18 years old, a parent or guardian must apply on your behalf;
  • You must have sufficient funds to cover your stay in Canada;
  • You must not have been convicted of any crime(s) and must not have a criminal record;
  • You must have a valid International Passport issued from your government
  • You must be healthy and without any dangerous medical problems which might make you seek medical treatment in Canada that you cannot afford. if you will be seeking medical treatment in Canada, you must state that and prove you have sufficient funds to cover your hospital bills and treatment;
  • You must demonstrate that you have the intention to return to your home country and have strong ties to your home country;
  • You must not intend to study or work in Canada.

Apply for your Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization Now


For more details on traveling to Canada without visa contact us on:


Leave a Comment

Get Accurate Information on Travelling Abroad Straight to Your Email
Be the first to get our contents straight to your inbox.
We respect your privacy. we promise not to spam your email.