Electronic Travel Authorization is a fast authorization issued to persons traveling into Canada and allows you to board a flight or other means of traveling as an alternative to the Visitor Visa or temporary Resident Permit
You must meet the eligibility criteria before you can apply for Electronic Travel Authorization. You can find a list of Countries allowed into Canada without visa in our previous article Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization. The application process is easy and fast.
List of Documents Required to Complete Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization Application
- Valid International Passport by one of the Countries allowed into Canada without visa;
- Valid e-mail address;
- Debit Card, Credit Card or Pre-Paid Card issued by Visa Card, Master Card, American Express, Union Pay, JCB Card, or Interac.
Electronic Travel Authorization Application Process
- Visit the Government official link of Canada. Do not use unofficial link.
- Enter correct details
- State whether you are applying for yourself or for another person. If you are applying for another person, you must state your personal details.
- If you are applying for yourself, ensure that you enter your details correctly; such as:
- Type of Travel document,
- number of document (passport number),
- Date of issuance and expiration of travel document,
- State other personal information such as:
- Your first and last name,
- Date of Birth
- Marital Status
- Details of previous visit to Canada
- Employment details
- Contact details such as e-mail and phone number
- Residential Address
- Travel/itinerary details such as: travel dates to Canada, flight number (if booked already),
- Background Questions such as:
- Previous Canada visa application refusals
- Criminal Records
- Medical History
- Consent and declaration (date and signature)
Electronic Travel Authorization Application Fees and Procedure
- After duly completing the application online, you will be taken to the payment site where you are to enter you card details. The eTA cost CAD$7 per applicant.
- Payment is made before application can be submitted and thereafter processed by a Canadian Consulate.
- Upon payment and submission of your application, you will receive a mail confirming receipt of your application.
- Electronic Travel Authorization Application approvals are fast, some as received instantly while others will take not less than one week.
- While travelling, you only need to go with your International Passport as the eTA is already electronically linked to your passport.
An Electronic Travel Authorization allows you to stay in Canada for a period not exceeding six months; however the eTA may be valid for up to five years. If you obtain a new International Passport, you must apply for a new Electronic Travel Authorization Application